Critical Home Repairs
A small repair can make a MAJOR difference
Critical Home Repair
The goal of the Critical Home Repair (CHR) program is to keep families throughout Thurston County in their homes. The program is designed for low income homeowners who have experienced financial hardships and as a result may find themselves unable to maintain, add or repair critical aspects of their homes. The CHR program provides affordable, critical home repairs to prevent low-income homeowners from being displaced from their residences and improve the quality and health of those homes.
There are three major criteria for selection in our CHR program:
- NEED: The homeowner(s) must be unable to afford and or perform the repairs themselves, the total household income must fall below 80% of the Area Median Income (AMI)
- ABILITY TO PAY: The homeowner(s) must be willing to contribute to a small percentage of the repair costs. Payment is calculated on a sliding scale based on percentage of AMI
- WILLINGNESS TO PARTNER: Homeowner(s) must provide copies of all required documentation, be honest and cooperative with South Puget Sound Habitat for Humanity (SPSHFH) and complete a minimum of 8 hours of sweat equity.
Qualified Applicants must:
- Own and reside in a home that is in need of repairs with in Thurston County
- Have homeowner’s insurance and be current on all mortgage payments and property taxes
- Have a total household income of less than 80% but more than 30% of the median income for Thurston County.
- Be willing to partner with SPSHFH
- Understand that repairs may be completed by SPSHFH’s dedicated volunteers and staff and or other community members or organizations.
What types of repairs to we provide? Critical Home Repairs address health and safety concerns examples include but are not limited to
- Floor Repairs
- Lack of heating
- Electrical hazards/failures
- Plumbing hazards/failures
- Failing roofs
- Wall repairs/replacements
- Ramps and accessibility needs
- Interior/ Exterior work needed to maintain the safety of the home
Habitat Critical Home Repair Does Not Address:
- Assisting with the new build of a home or tiny home
- New Foundations or any foundation repairs
- Updating wiring system of an entire home
- Updating plumbing system of a home
- Painting for cosmetic purposes
- Cosmetic repairs
Questions or ready to apply? Contact our CHR team today at [email protected] or 360-956-3456 ext. 4